Friday, June 27, 2008

Baracoa Cuban Cafe - Atwater Village

3175 Glendale Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90039
(323) 665-9590

www.baracoacubancafe.com

Baracoa Cuban Cafe

Category: Cuban

5 star rating
06/27/2008

I decided I needed to find a replacement Cuban restaurant for Versailles as I really enjoy the food there, but hate the wait, the tough parking and in pursuit of a new Cuban place I found Baracoa.

My Arroz con Pollo was delicious. A super bargain at $7 which includes a small but great salad and a few slices of plantains! The plantains were oh so good! Fresh hot bread before the dinners hit the spot although no butter with the bread was a glaring omission and even the salad was noteworthy as well. No iceberg here. Everything I tasted here was great! Oh... do not miss the Tres leche (3 milk) cake... that was incredible. One of those cakes where everyone who tried it was moaning primal utterances in sheer rapture! Lisa's Cuban Sandwich was also tasty!

The chef is apparently an upscale chef so his more expensive dishes look very tempting for next time here and yes, there will definitely be a next time.

I now read the flan is a must try here as well. Ha! Another excuse to return! Oh yes, corkage is a very reasonable $5. The biggest booth/table is for 10 peeps. When I return, there's many dishes I want to try but for first timers, I say try to get the Arroz co Pollo as it is a super bargain and delicious. It's a little different that the Mexican version as it comes with plantains and it came with a whole leg quarter on the bone whereas the Mexican versions I've had were boneless chunks of breast meat with a lot of tomato salsa kind of sauce. Here, you get a LOT of rice and it really filled me up. This place could handle up to 10 people together, but when I come back I'll do a table of 4 plus a table of 8 and that should be cool.

Oh it was pointed out by a Yelper that to snag the single table in the back that can accomodate 8-10 you should call a couple hours ahead as they don't take reservations. Ha! That's exactly what I did, but I didn't know that's what I was supposed to do... Love when a non-plan comes together like it was a plan.

No comments: