Monday, June 23, 2008

Komasa Sushi Bar

351 E 2nd St
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 680-1792

Restaurant Komasa

Categories: Sushi Bars, Japanese
Neighborhood: Downtown

3 star rating
01/04/2008
Dined here last night with the LA Sushi and Asian Foodies. I set the time for 6:15pm figuring this early on a Thursday it might not be a problem getting a table. Wrong. It was still packed and we didn't get a table until around 8:15pm but as others said, they were very good about taking my cell number and they did call me when our table was ready. While not waiting we walked around and found an empty sake bar called Joy Mart Sake Bar and while it looked scary empty we thought it to be a perfect place for some conversation without having to raise our voices. We ordered one Dragon roll and two orders of soft shelled crab for the six of us to keep our stomachs from growling while waiting for our table. The Dragon roll is fresh water eel and shrimp tempura roll and about 10 pieces or more per order which cost about $13. It was yummy as was the deep fried SS crab. They have various sake samplers and lots of beer and people ordered a sampler, plum wine and I ordered a few unfiltered Nigori cold sakes which cost $6.25 each 4 oz or a 750ml bottle is $30 which if we had planned to stay here the whole night, I would have ordered that. The food was surprisingly excellent and the drinks were too as well as the service. Sorry, I'm reviewing the wrong place... LOL

Komasa, okay we got seated finally and 2 friends and part of our group got seated earlier at the sushi bar and they gave us their spider roll (soft shell crab roll) that was of course tasty. We ordered uni with quail egg and it was only okay, but I knew that it didn't look exceptionally fress before I ordered it as my friend insisted that it was delicious and that I order it so against my better judgment I odered it but it wasn't bad, but not the freshest. We had salmon roe, good, yellowtail collar, very good, ama ebi very good (if the shrimps were bigger, I'd rate it excellent) salmon, very good, hamachi good and we ordered the hamachi belly which was excellent and the star of the evening. But it wasn't as cheap as we were expecting nor as good as we were expecting and I wouldn't wait 2 hours to dine here again. There's free parking if you know that it's around the corner on Central and you can make reservations mid week which I failed to do, hence the 2hr wait. When we left, there were empty tables, so this place might be best to go late as most typical Asians like me like to eat early. It cost us $38/person and that is after eating and drining at the other place first. They didn't itemize the bill so I couldn't tell if the bill was correct or not.

The food is decent, but surprisingly I felt it didn't live up to the high ratings of the other Yelpers.

No comments: