Monday, June 23, 2008

Park's Korean BBQ

955 S Vermont Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90005
(213) 380-1717

Park's BBQ

Categories: Barbeque, Korean

3 star rating
11/16/2007
I had high expectations as my friend, super foodie Erica raved to me that THIS is THE PLACE for Korean BBQ, bar none. She turned me onto Suhrabal and we dined together at Soot Bull Jeep so the girl knows what she's talking about. However, with rare exception I have to definitely disagree with her on thiis place.

The food: Pricey yet average at best. 12 in our group dined on 7 meat orders and that was enough food for all.

The Meats: We ordered the beef tongue which was very good, 3 orders of Prime Kalbi, and 2 orders the pork belly and 2 orders of seasoned Kalbi. We also tried one of their hot casserole dishes. I was surprised that the meat was not all that tender considering it was supposed to be prime meat. I didn't like the fact that we couldn't really cook for ourselves and I actually like my meat slightly charred whereas the server would only cook the meat until just done. THEY TOOK AWAY THE BONES BEFORE WE COULD GNAW ON THEM!!! WTF! The pork was tough and had bones in them. Surprisingly the beef tongue was excellent, no complaints here. All the meat dishes were very tasty, don't get me wrong, but none of the dishes floored me.

The panchan was sparse and uninspiring. To get napa kim chee costs $3 extra per order. Rice was extra as well. WTF!!! There was not enough of the spicy Korean hot bean paste, had to request more. They had Thai Chili Garlic sauce on the table for Pete's sake!

The service was average at best. While our server was affable and friendly, I had to ask him several times for items before receiving them. I asked for the bones back and he said the kitchen was cutting the meat off and will be returning the meat which never happened.

We dined upstairs in a private room which was sparse. Good ventilation and stoves. The stoves used whole wood coals and gas but for some reason, I didn't get the smokiness flavor like Soot Bull Jeep. I just don't know... it was well below my high expectations.

Pros: Cold beers, good ventilation, friendly place.
Cons: meats were not tender for the price, not able to cook for ourselves, napa kim chee and rice cost extra! Service average or below average. Average or below average in taste. Good, but nothing to rave about.

One of my dining friends, a Korean, also concurred with my opinion so I wasn't crazy. With beers, tax and tip, it cost about $30 per person for each of the 12 in our group.

I award this place 3 stars as the flavors and taste were fine, but nothing extraordinary. I should really only give it 2 stars when you consider the prices of the meat dishes at about $27-30 and supposedly they are prime cuts of meat. They looked like it as the meat was beautifully marbled with fat.

$2 valet parking.

No comments: