Monday, June 23, 2008

Ondal 2 - Great Korean Casseroles

4566 W Washington Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90016
(323) 933-3228

Ondal 2

Category: Korean
Neighborhood: Mid-City

5 star rating
02/07/2008
Okay per Yelpers recommendations, we ordered a Large #2 Spicy Crab and I think the #3 non-spicy Crab soup in a Medium and a Extra large Beef short ribs which I think is #12. So we also ordered the Mama Bear, Papa Bear and Baby Bear sized dishes for 9 adults and one baby bear. Many of my fellow Yelpers might blast me, but I gotta say that we loved the spicy beef short ribs the best! That was the only one of the three dishes that the X-large pot was totally licked clean! We had the fried rice with the Beef too and every little rice kernel was devoured. But, there was lots of leftovers of both crab pots.

As other Yelpers have mentioned, you get a lot of food per order and lots of the side dishes including clams, veggie pancake, kimchee, potato salad, brocoli, raw spicy crab and many more.

We had the fried rice with our beef soup and the secret ingredient we added to the rice when the owner's son James was making the rice was the sweet nori seaweed panchan that really kicked up the fried rice a notch. I would have loved to have an egg tossed into the fried rice, but I didn't bother asking.

We had a couple bottles of rasberry wine $10 and soju $7and someone ordered a large Hite beer and our bill worked out to be $36/person including tax and tip. We ordered way too much food however for the nine of us, we could have gotten just the XL bee and the Large spicy crab, but one of our diners can't handle spicy nor her son which is why we ordered the non-spicy crab soup. I think 5-6 people could simply order the XL beef pot and a pancake and be full and we could have cut our bill down substantially.

Don't get me wrong, the crab was delicious, but I dunno, it's a lot of work for me to eat the crab and the beef is so easy and filling!

Personally I thought the pasta soup at the end was just okay, the real star in my book was the fried rice with the beef.

This would be a great place for a big group of LA Foodies as James said we could use the entire patio that will hold about 50-60 people and we could do a buffet with off menu items such as chap jae, buloggi and several menu items as well. I'm thinking we'll do this during the Spring, but James said with the outdoor heaters, we could do it any night or season. Great service, friendly, family owned single restaurant, excellent food. Thank you James!

Parking... Valet parking in back, or if you arrive at 7:01pm you can park free on Washington after the no parking time has ended.

No comments: