Monday, June 23, 2008

Din Tai Fung Dumpling House - The Gold Standard for Chinese Dumplings

1108 S Baldwin Ave
Arcadia, CA 91007
(626) 574-7068

Din Tai Fung Dumpling House

Categories: Chinese, Taiwanese

5 star rating
11/11/2007
This is a 5 star dumpling house. NOT dim sum as they don't serve several of the traditional dim sum dishes. But for dumplings, I can think of none better. I've eaten here twice, the first time with my www.LAfoodies.org group and once with my GF. This place is much better with a group of 10 people as several of the dishes come with 10 dumplings so it's ideal for a big table. The cooked to order dumplings cannot be beat. About the only way to get better is to have my departed grandmother come back and make me some dumplings. Yes, I'm Chinese and while my granny didn't make a wide variety of dumplings, the one's she made of course were the best.

But for a restaurant, I've not had any better dumplings so I'm compelled to give it 5 stars. Our group of 11 arrived 15 minutes before it opened and got seated promptly but the line was huge and we were thankful the early birds got the worms or dumplings as the case may be. I was honestly blown away with how wonderful everthing tasted.

Dining with my GF wasn't as fulfilling an experience as we could only order 3-4 dishes so we didn't get the variety as with a big group. What we order was excellent, but I love more variety of a larger group.

No comments: