Monday, June 23, 2008

Mayflower Restaurant - Best Value Chinese Food

685 N Spring St
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 628-0116

Mayflower Restaurant

Category: Chinese
Neighborhood: Chinatown

5 star rating
11/17/2007
This is your typical family Chinese restaurant. Excellent taste, some surprisingly tasty gravies/sauces and flavors and great prices on Lobster, crab and clams, I think shrimp is reasonable too. You cannot go wrong with any of the seafood dishes and most all the dishes are great. Event the tourist dishes are good... you know, sweet and sour, fried rice etc. Okay, I've eaten here at least 30+ times and I'll tell you my favs. Lobster with ginger/green onions, simple clean flavor so you can truly enjoy the sweet lobster meat. I'll order the crab the same way as well, but not at the same time. Clams in the black bean sauce. The sizzling beef is very tender, peppery and loaded with flavor. Beef with the XO sauce. Not my fav, but most of my family adore the spicy peel and eat shrimp. I'm lazy and I'll just rip off the legs and head and not even bother peeling off the skin most of the time. I'll also eat the shrimp heads... just like at the sushi bar. The pea leaves are excellent as is all the veggie dishes. I believe there is a spicy eggplant with tofu that my veggie friends really enjoy. I never order fried rice preferring simple white rice as all the dishes have lots of gravies and bold flavors so fried rice is just a waste of money to me. Yes, love the chow fun, the duck, chicken... most of the dishes are excellent and at about 20-35% cheaper than Empress or Ocean and about 60-65% cheaper than the Westside Chinese places. Never a wait and they now have opened both spaces more than doubling the size of the place.

Dine at the larger of the two spaces as they seem to only have one kitchen and they have to take the dishes outside the front door and back in to the smaller space which is bizarre.

No dim sum but that shouldn't be considered a negative. Awhile back, when they used to have the daily specials hand written and posted on the walls, that was when the food was the best.

I give it 5 stars because it's food is excellent and a bargain price. It's not the best, but it's the best for the money in LA's Chinatown. Not a place to impress a date, but for everyday family dining, this is the place to go.

No comments: