Monday, June 23, 2008

Giamela's Submarine Sandwiches

3178 Los Feliz Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90039
(323) 661-9444

Giamela's Submarine Sandwiches

Category: Sandwiches
Neighborhood: Atwater Village

5 star rating
11/11/2007
I can't believe that the first time I give a 5 star rating is to a sub sandwich joint. Back in the 70's I worked in Burbank a few blocks away from Giamela's and that's where I ate at least once per week. I don't recall ever trying the pizza, but I used to love my beef pepper steak, meatball and pastrami sandwiches, I'd load up on the jalapenos and would be in hog heaven. Fast forward to a week ago, I was semi hungry and was trying to decide whether to eat at Giamela's or at India Sweets and Spices both on Los Feliz Blvd and very close to each other.

My choice is obvious and I was pleased to see that their excellent sandwiches were basically unchanged from my memories of the 70's. I ordered a large beef pepper steak which is a hot sandwich loaded with coarse chopped dill pickles, onions, cooked green bell peppers and lots of jalapenos. It was just like I remembered it. A ton of food, I barely managed to finish the thing but regretted it as I was overstuffed. I should have eaten half and the other half the next day. The hot pastrami sandwiches are also excellent but I'd guess there's a better one out there somewhere. I've eaten at Langer's which is also a good pastrami as well as Canter's but I'm not ready to say who makes the best pastrami.

But for a beef steak and peppers sandwich, I don't know of a better place. So, I give them my first 5 star rating for a restaurant.

No comments: