Monday, June 23, 2008

Taix French Restaurant - Filet Mignon $21 Monday Special

1911 W Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90026
(213) 484-1265

Taix French Restaurant

Categories: French, Lounges
Neighborhood: Echo Park

3 star rating
03/25/2008
24 LA Foodies went here to try out the Filet Mignon Monday night special and then across the street was a free concert at The Echo. I think the kitchen was overwhelmed with 20+ orders of the filet. First, a French member did an outstanding job of selecting a great bottle of wine that only cost $40 and tasted great.

My vegetable soup was hearty but very bland/unseasoned... This was the first time in years that I had to add salt to a dish in a restaurant as most restaurants season to taste. Once I added enough salt and some pepper, it was fine. The prix fixe Monday dinner special costs $20.95 and the filet mignon included a very nice large baked potato, a vegetable compote of sorts. The meat was correctly cooked as I requested and the bernaise sauce was tasty, but my only complaint was my food was barely above room temperature and I like my beef hot off the griddle. Again, this was the function of 24 other orders of the filet and trying to get everyone served at the same time, so I'm sure if dining for 2-4 there'd be no problem. The service was slow, but our group virtually took over the restaurant.

Bottom line I think the restaurant could be better but not for the situation this time. This experience was really only 2 stars, but I'll give them the benefit.

No comments: