Monday, June 23, 2008

Jitlada Thai Restaurant - The Hollywood Rock Star of Thai Restaurants

5233 W Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90027
(323) 663-3104

Jitlada Thai Restaurant

Category: Thai
Neighborhood: Hollywood

5 star rating
03/07/2008
My review is pretty much a footnote to Juma's excellent 3/7 review and I also attended the same Yelp event which happens to be my FIRST Yelp event. I also didn't care much for the mackerel/cod roe soup, but I'm sure true Thai's would probably love it as our American taste buds usually don't like/appreciate the heavier/fishy/salty flavors.

The fried chicken dish was a bit less than okay for me as I felt it was overcooked and very dry, but I'm not sure if that was the texture they were going for. Also with the bits of bone, I dunno, I can easily see people choking on one of those bits so if I was Jazz, I'd make this dish boneless or the pieces bigger with the bones whole to avoid possible problems. The frog legs were okay... tasted like amphibian.

LOVED the grilled shrimp with fried basil! That was the star of the evening for me. Lamb curry was also excellent as was the soft shelled crab which I heard was fresh not frozen. They were about the most tender SS crabs I've ever had and absolutely delicious.

Next time I go to Jitlada, we'll do a group of about 24 but keep the tables separated so each table can order as they please. I've been to enough tasting events here so I want to eat more of the dishes I like instead of one bite of a lot of dishes. Also I'd like to have one fiery dish to clear out the gastro-intestinal tract! LOL

What was up with the tiny serving of sticky rice? Sticky rice or regular rice I want rice! You gotta have a heaping of rice to soak up all those delicious and precious juices/sauces of the dishes.

Drinks: The Chang beers are great and the Iced coffee was about the best I've ever had. Both highly recommended.

Our group was supposed to be about 14 but about 20 showed up. So, unfortunately the service was slow. But of course Jazz is a great host and the servers did the best they could.

The food is five stars, but on this night overall I should give it a 4 stars but it was not the fault of the restaurant that we had way too many people show up.

I was craving for their mango-sticky rice dessert. That dish truly rocks! Thanks Tony for doing an awesome of hosting the event and the gracious host Jazz.

No comments: